LONGARM QUILTING SERVICES (aka Quilt by Check)
Capital Quilts offers edge-to-edge longarm quilting services. Fees may vary according to the size of the quilt and complexity of the design. Meet with one of our in-house quilters to discuss your quilting needs!
We also have a list of both hand and machine quilters in the area.
There is a $60 minimum fee for any quilting project.
- Edge-to-edge quilting: begins at $0.025 per square inch
- Custom quilting begins at $0.05 per square inch
- Machine attached, customer finishes: $2.50 per linear foot
- Machine attached, machine finished: $3.50 per linear foot
- Machine attached, hand finished: $4.50 per linear foot
- Miscellaneous services: $7.50/15 minutes
Please contact the shop to make an appointment with one of our in-house quilters or to obtain the list of local quilters.
- Need it in a week? There is a surcharge of 75% of the total fee.
- Need it in 2 weeks? There is a surcharge of 50% of the total fee.
PREPARING YOUR QUILT TOP FOR LONGARMING
What Size is the Quilt?
- Twin size or queen size means different things to different people.
- We need to know the exact measurements: Length by width, in order to provide a cost estimate.
Condition of the Quilt Top
- You should "square up" your quilt top before coming to an intake appointment.
- Make sure you have trimmed the loose threads from the backside of the quilt top.
- Please do not add any quilt embellishments on the quilt top prior to quilting. These would include but are not limited to dimensional applique, yo-yo’s, buttons, crystals, etc. Save these for attaching after the quilt has been quilted.
- If your quilt top has biased edges, please stay stitch along the edge of the quilt top to prevent stretching.
- Make sure all seams are intact. Seams that are not intact can be ripped open by the hopping foot of the longarm machine and irreparably damage your quilt.
- If you haven’t purchased your backing fabric, please note that we require 5 extra inches of backing fabric on each edge. If your quilt top is 60 x 60, your backing will be 70 x 70. This is necessary for properly attaching the quilt backing to the longarm machine.
- If you already have your backing fabric and it does not have the required 5 extra inches on each edge, you can add additional strips of fabric (muslin for example) to correct the shortage. Please square up the edges.
- If you must piece your backing fabric to fit the measurement requirements, make sure you remove all selvage edges; use at least a ½” seam allowance and press open; try to run your seams horizontally rather than vertically; and press your backing well.
- If you are unable to piece your backing fabric to the proper specifications, discuss options with the quilter before leaving your quilt to determine additional costs.
- Batting must be 5 inches larger than your quilt top on all edges. In other words, the same size as the backing fabric.
- Batting should be of good quality. It should not pull apart with light tugging.
- Capital Quilts can provide you with quality batting. We carry Quilter’s Dream batting. It is available in Cotton, Poly, Wool, Blends, and more.
If you have any questions or issues, contact the shop or your quilter to discuss them.
- Omni Thread is provided free of charge by Capital Quilts
- Omni Thread is available in 172 colors. Ask to see the color chart if necessary.
- Mono Poly (invisible) thread may be used for a cost of 3 1/2 cents per square inch due to its delicate nature and the extra care the quilter must take.
- Other thread brands may be used, if approved by the quilter. You will be responsible for purchasing.
When you meet with your quilter here at Capital Quilts, she will be looking for all of the above preparations. She may ask you to take your quilt top home to fix something. This is perfectly normal, and happens often. We reserve the right to refuse a quilt that the longarm quilter feels will not quilt easily due to construction or other issues.
Thank you for choosing Capital Quilts for all your quilting needs!